I felt like baking this week so I looked through my Pinterest board for an idea. I had everything on hand for this recipe so it got chosen. Well, and the picture made it look really yummy.
It was easy to put together. Ms. A made the fudge part while Ms. S and I mixed up the oatmeal cookie part. I might have forgotten to preheat the oven while we were doing this though. Oh well.
You have to let this cool at least almost completely or the fudge part will not be set up and run out. Everyone thought it was delicious. Another Chocolate Friday success!
Deep Dish Oatmeal Fudge Bars
- 1 cup butter
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 3 cups oatmeal
- 1 can eagle’s brand sweetened condensed milk
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Mix the butter, eggs and brown sugar. Add vanilla and milk. Slowly incorporate the rest of the dry ingredients. Mix well. I prefer using a stand mixer since it’s quite thick.
- In saucepan, mix and melt together the condensed milk, butter, vanilla, and chocolate chips for the fudge layer.
- Spread 3/4 of the cookie mixture on the bottom of a greased 13×9 pan.
- Pour chocolate mixture then spread rest of cookie mixture on tops in spoonfuls (won’t cover completely).
- Note: The top can tend to get done before it’s completely cooked, so you can put aluminum foil over it for the last five or so if it looks like it’s browning too much. Bake for 25-30 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Let cool, otherwise it won’t set up and will just run when you cut into it.