Chocolate Friday: Refrigerator Oatmeal
This weeks Chocolate Friday is from Pinterest. I found it a few weeks ago and knew it was something I had to try as I have oatmeal every morning for breakfast. I thought this sounded like not only a good thing to have ready to go for me, but it would be great for Rich to grab and take to work.
The recipe comes from a blog called The Yummy Life. She not only posted the idea for this version called Banana Cocoa, but six other flavors also. I used a jar I had already, and it seemed a little bigger than the ones she used so it didn’t fill the jar. But it was easy to put together and I really enjoyed it after my run in the morning. The one ingredient I did not include was Chia Seeds as I did not have those and did not want to go all the way to the health food store to get them.
You can get the details for this recipe here. I think I’m going to also try the blueberry one this week and then the peanut butter one…. and her picture is much “cleaner” than mine since she used the smaller jar. Next time…
Do you use Chia Seeds in anything? Many benefits to them… think I’ll have to track them down and see if they change the taste.
- have more Omega 3 fatty acids than flax seed (important for heart health)
- are the richest non-marine whole food source of Omega-3 (better than salmon)
- absorb 10 times their weight in water and transform into a gel-like substance–great for athletes for maintaining hydration and helps with weight loss by making you feel full longer
- are as high in protein as quinoa
- are loaded with calcium, potassium, Vitamin B, and anti-oxidants
- help balance blood sugar via the gelling action of the seed and it’s unique combination of soluble and insoluble fiber that slow down your body’s conversion of starches into sugars
- have a neutral taste so they will take on the other flavors in a recipe
- can be eaten whole (unlike flax seed); they don’t have to be ground before adding them to food in order to digest them and benefit from their nutrients